The Norwegian Association of Pharmacists

The Norwegian Association of Pharmacists (NFF) is both a trade union and a professional association for pharmacists working in Norway.

NFF’s main goal is to secure the members’ financial, social and professional interests. We strive to promote a high standard of professional skills and ethics among our members. The association takes an active part in developing the profession and addressing health policy issues.

NFF membership

  • Anyone holding a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Pharmacy, equal to Norwegian standards, can be accepted as a member of NFF. 
  • As soon as you have received your Norwegian authorisation you can apply for membership.
  • Foreign students who study pharmacy in Norway can apply for student membership.


LATEST NEWS (01.01.2017)
Additional requirements for applicants with education from outside the EU/EEA were introduced on January 1st 2017.  If the applicant’s education is considered equivalent or necessary skills has been proven, additional courses and tests will be required before authorisation can be granted.  Applicants with education from outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland are required to complete a course and pass a test on Norwegian health services, health legislation and society (kurs i nasjonale fag). Folkeuniversitetet and Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied Sciences organize the course on behalf of the Directorate of Health every spring semester and fall semester. You will receive more information about the course with the confirmation of equivalency.

For more information, please check the web pages of the Norweigan Directorate of Health.


In order to work as a pharmacist (or prescriptionist) in Norway you will need:



Anyone working as a pharmacist in Norway needs a Norwegian authorisation or license.
Authorisation is a confirmation that you meet the formal and academic requirements for the professional title concerned, i.e. pharmacist. In order to work as a pharmacist in Norway you must apply for authorization to the Norwegian Directorate of Health.

For more information about the authorisation process and how to apply.
Questions can be directed to the authorisation office by email  or phone +47 21 52 97 00.


Work and residence permit

As a main rule you need a residence permit.

EU/EEA/EFTA citizens: If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA/EFTA country you do not need to apply for a residence permit, but you must register with the police.

More information:

Language skills

If you are planning on working in Norway it is adviceable to start learning the language as soon as possible. A satisfactory level of the Norwegian language is usually required in order to work in pharmacies in Norway.

NFF will not be able to assist in the application process for authorisation and residence permit. However, employers are usually helpful in this process if you already have a job offer.